MICRO-ORGANISM RESISTANT STANDARD
The EN 374-5:2016 standard specifies performance requirements for gloves that protect users against micro-organisms (bacteria, fungi and/or viruses). Standards for micro-organisms risk was formerly under EN374-2 but now has been developed as a separate EN 374 part as EN374-5:2016.
EN374-5:2016 Terminology and Performance Requirements for Micro-organisms Risks
- Microbiological agents are determined as: bacteria, fungi and virus.
- EN374-5 gloves are classified as either:
- Protection against bacteria and fungi
- Protection against bacteria, fungi and viruses
- Penetration testing is required for all gloves claiming micro-organisms protection. Testing is outlined in EN374-2:2014, air leak and water leak. Test method has not changed.
- Gloves claiming protection against bacteria, fungi and viruses require additional penetration testing according to ISO 16604:2004 Determination of resistance to protective clothing materials to penetration by blood-borne pathogens. Test method uses Phi-X174 bacteriophage
- Test uses a nutrient broth containing a virus, which is forced against the glove for a specified time and pressure pattern
- Glove is elastomeric – mesh is inserted into a test chamber to prevent ballooning
- Visual detection of penetration plus assay procedure is used to help detect the presence of viruses
- Gloves longer than 400 mm and if the cuff is claimed to protect against micro-organisms require additional test specimen taken from the cuff area and tested to ISO 16604:2004.
Note: All Watson gloves that are EN374-5:2016 compliant have been tested and assessed in laboratory conditions only. The gloves have not been tested against COVID-19.
The pictogram below is used for our gloves that protect against bacteria and fungi:
Depicted without ‘VIRUS’ text underneath the shield
The pictogram below is used for our gloves that protect against bacteria, fungi and viruses:
Depicted with ‘VIRUS’ text underneath the shield
Click the button below to find all our EN374-5:2016 compliant gloves.
Sign up for our newsletter!
Stay up to date with the latest Watson Gloves news, releases, and industry updates by signing up to our newsletter!